The vision and mission of education will be achieved through the following strategic objectives:
(i) Expand Access and Equity - Strategies
- Expanding access to twelve years of quality basic education to all starting from pre-school up to the end of secondary (ordinary level).
- Facilitating access to life long learning whether through the traditional channel of education and training or through work based learning.
- Providing equal opportunities for education especially to vulnerable groups such as people with special educational needs.
(ii) Improve the quality and effectiveness of education system - Strategies
- Raising the quality of education so that the learners will be able to develop their own skills and realize their potential as citizens.
- Improving education and training of teachers so that their knowledge and skills respond both to the changes and expectations in society and to the diverse students needs.
- Providing learners with relevant skills required for life.
(iii) Ensure access to ICT for teachers, students and education staff - Strategies
- Providing all teachers with skills in the use of internet and multimedia resources as an important teaching and learning tool.
- Equipping students with computer knowledge and skills.
- Providing work places with computers that could be used in supporting quality and efficiency of education system.
(iv) Develop scientific and technological competence - Strategies
- Expanding access to technical and vocational education in scope and geographical coverage to meet the needs of individuals and society.
- Popularization of science and mathematics to schools and society in general.
(v) Expand Tertiary Education - Strategies
- Transforming the Zanzibar society into a human capital able to meet the challenges of the changing environment.
(vi) Promote Good Governance of Education - Strategies
- Devolving power and responsibility to lower organs.
- Developing a cadre of effective and committed education managers and staff.
- Expanding private and public partnership.
(vii) Provide a safe and healthy environment for teaching and learning
- Combat the spread of HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases.
- Create a conducive, safe and child friendly school environment that is free from discrimination, abuse and harassment.
(viii) Make the best and efficient use of resources
- Optimising personnel utilization.
- Ensuring adequate funding of non salary operational targeted on instructional materials and teacher professional development.
- Implementing cost recovery strategies.